As the South starts to warm up, my husband and I have been itching for a weekend getaway to get some Vitamin D and fresh air! Plus, our 1 year wedding anniversary is just around the corner, so it’s the perfect excuse for a vacay! I love a relaxing road trip, butttt, I’m a notorious over-packer and will bring 10 days worth of clothes for a 3-day trip (#girlproblems). So, to help my fellow over-packers, I have compiled 10 Essentials for a Weekend Getaway for light packing while still providing multiple outfit options!
A general rule of thumb when I’m packing, or shopping in general, is if I can’t wear it in multiple ways, occasions, or seasons, I will usually pass on that item. As I have gotten older, it has become more important to me to invest in quality, versatile pieces than fast fashion.
Without further delay, check out the below picks to see which of your favorites made the must-haves list!
10 Essentials for Weekend Getaway
1. Linen Pants: I will tell anyone who will listen that a pair of linen pants is a must-have for any summer wardrobe. You can wear them to the beach or for drinks that night while still looking effortlessly polished. They come at many different price points while still maintaining good quality.
2. Versatile Cover-Up: Much like linen pants, a versatile cover-up could be a skirt, dress etc. that you can wear to beach but also transition with to dinner. Cover-ups that have less sheerness, some details (embroidery, tassels, etc.), and good coverage will make it look like an intentional outfit.
3. Extra Outfit: Call me over-prepared, but I like to bring 1 extra change of clothes on trips. You never know when you might spill something or get caught in a rain storm and are grateful that you brought an extra set. This could be a dress or a one-piece swimsuit that doubles as a bodysuit for multiple uses.
4. Lightweight Jacket: Just a friendly reminder that even if it is 80 degrees during the day, it can still get chilly at night! Don’t forget to bring a lightweight jacket, so you can stay warm but stylish at the same time. Luckily, there are many versatile options now that range from denim to windbreaker that can fit many different outfits!
5. Oversized Button-Up: What is great about the oversized button-up is that it can also double as a cover-up! The goal here is to pack light, so if you can find a button-up that is long enough for a cover-up, but still looks cute tied in a knot for a separate outfit, then it is a winner!
6. Casual Shoes: Keeping shoes to a minimum while packing can be very challenging. The two types of casual shoes I recommend is one type for pool/beach (i.e slides, flip flops) and one for day activities (i.e espadrilles). This way your favorite pair of shoes won’t get any sun, sand or water damage.
7. One pair of Dress Shoes: Now that we have the casual shoes covered, try to bring only one pair of dress shoes. This can be either heels or flats, but should be versatile enough to wear with all of your evening looks. However, this doesn’t mean they have to be boring, you can try a natural metallic (i.e. gold/silver) or some type of embellishment (i.e. pearl, bow, etc.) Metallic heel listed below is from Sarah Flint, so make sure to use code “SARAHFLINT-BALINDSAYF” for $50 off your order!
8. Pair of Jeans: This one kind of goes hand in hand with the lightweight jacket scenario, but weather can change pretty quickly. Even though the forecast might say sunny and warm, bring a pair of jeans just in case. Speaking from experience, you will be glad you have something to keep you warmer if the clouds decide to show up!
9. Hair Accessories: While on vacation, shampoos, conditioners and even hair dryers can be subpar, so I try to extend the life of my washed hair as long as possible. By packing a headband, bandana etc. it can hide any extra oil while adding a cute finish to your look!
10. Dresses: Don’t worry, I saved the best for last! Dresses are a no-brainer for vacation because you can fit a lot into a suitcase without being too bulky. However, as with the items above, try to pack dresses that are versatile. This means dresses that are easy to pair with our other packed items (i.e oversized button-up)
Bonus Essential Items:
- Towel/Blanket: Not only is this a great item to use in the car but also for a picnic or a place to sit during a hike. I love the thin options that make it easy to roll up or lay flat in a suitcase!
- Small Crossbody Bag: When I pack in a hurry, I forget to bring an extra purse that could be used with a casual or dressed up outfit. This one is important because you don’t want to end up asking your significant other to keep your wallet in their pocket (speaking from experience).
- Ibuprofen: Whether it is one too many cocktails or too much sun, I love the ibuprofen packets you can get at the drug store that can easily fit in your clutch or beach bag.
- Sunscreen: Let’s keep your skin protected! Avoid sunburn ruining your trip by keeping a small bottle in your bag. Make sure to apply before heading out even on a cloudy day!
Some Outfit Ideas:
Hope that these 10 Essentials for Weekend Getaway help you consolidate and keep your bag nice and light! The more items that you can pack, that can be worn in different ways, will be your best bet for stress-free packing! For more style inspiration, make sure to check out my Instagram page or my LiketoKnow.It shopping page (either in app or in the ‘shop the looks’ tab on this site)!