Clean concealers sound great in theory, but do they actually work? I frequently heard rumors about toxins in regular makeup, but was hesitant to make the switch.
Why, you might ask? Because natural or organic makeup products didn’t seem to make the cut like regular makeup. And I’m sure this thought has crossed your mind too.
At the time, clean concealer felt like gunk on my face that did not have the ability to blend, smooth, or absorb into my skin. And don’t even get me started on the poor shade choices…
BUT good news, this was 5+ years ago, and clean, natural concealers have come a LONG way. They are now competing with the best, and I am happy to say, that I made the switch and won’t go back!
So for today’s post we are going to dive in to the importance of concealers, what to look for clean concealers, and the top rated picks that you need in your life!
Foundations vs. Concealers
So first things first, do you need concealer if you have foundation? And the answer is: YES!
As implied by the name, foundation works as a great base, but not for targeted areas! Foundation is a way to even out skin tone without looking too “cakey, but isn’t really the best if you want buildable coverage (i.e pimples, dark spots, etc). However, this is where concealer comes into play.
As mentioned above, concealer is a great solution to target specific areas like pimples, dark circles or even brow bones and eyelids.
Concealer is an item in my makeup bag that I can’t live without. Since I was wearing it almost every day, I knew that I needed to switch to a clean concealer to prevent the toxins from building up in my skin.
Also, the thinnest skin is around your eye, so it is even more imperative to using natural ingredients on those areas. Natural concealers are not only helpful for under eyes, but also eyelids as well. By putting on the eyelid, it helps your eyeshadow color to pop even more, Win-Win!
What Makes Clean Concealers Clean?
If you read my post on natural setting sprays, you would have seen a list of chemicals to avoid. A few of those would apply here as well.
When we start getting into more of the thicker makeup products (ie. foundations, concealers, moisturizers), you start to see more toxic ingredients popping up.
Here are some to avoid:
- Ethoxylated Ingredients
Top 10 Clean Concealers
Ilia Beauty True Skin Serum Concealer:
1. Ilia Beauty True Skin Serum Concealer ($30): This is a lightweight concealer that provides medium coverage with a flawless finish. In a blind test, I would say Ilia’s option is the closet concealer to regular concealers for texture, blending, etc. In the past, I found it difficult to blend out clean concealers, but was happily impressed with Ilia’s version.
Benefits: This natural concealer has a good color range compared to other clean beauty products. It is also enriched with stabilized vitamin C and albizia julibrissin bark extract which provides a bright and flawless appearance. Added bonus, this concealer also won the accolades of Glamour Magazine’s Best Clean Concealer in 2020.
Ingredients: This natural concealer is cruelty-free, vegan, 100% natural dye, and silicone free. Click for Full Ingredients
Han Skincare Cosmetics Concealer:
2. Han Skincare Cosmetics Concealer ($18): Han Cosmetics has popped on the scene and is getting rave reviews (4.5/5 stars) for its clean concealer. It is dimethicone and silicone free (YAY!), but it does have a limited shade range. It provides medium to full coverage and great quality for its price point.
Benefits: It is Made in USA which I LOVE to see! Plus it received positive reviews for long-lasting and brightening. With that said, it has a strong focus on reducing dark circles, uneven skintone, and redness. And by the looks of it, it does seem to deliver!
Ingredients: Includes natural ingredients such as argan oil, shea butter, green tea and Vitamin E. Click for Full Ingredients
Kjaer Weis KJW Concealer:
3. Kjaer Weis KJW Concealer ($30): Packaged in a sleek design, this clean concealer also rakes in a 5 star rating. It has the same amount of color range as Ilia Beauty (12 total), and is one of the only clean concealers that claims to be a high coverage formula.
Benefits: Apart from providing great coverage, it also lightweight and smoothing textures. There is also a note on the website to finish with a pressed powder to provide a long-lasting finish.
Ingredients: Some of its natural ingredients include sunflower and rosehip seed oils. Kjaer Weis is also certified organic. Click for Full Ingredients
Kosas Revealer Concealer:
4. Kosas Revealer Concealer ($28): Another great medium-to-full coverage is Kosas’ super creamy concealer. They have a total of 16 shades which is great to have options if you fall somewhere in between the generic shades. It provides key ingredients to brighten and smooth for a natural look. To add, the Kosas products do tend to have a feel more like an oil/serum base when applied to skin.
Benefits: It advertises as a 3-in-1 concealer by providing the benefits of an eye cream, concealer, and spot treatment. At 4.5 stars, this concealer will do the trick and then some! They ban over 2700 ingredients in their products and adhere to strict clean standards.
Ingredients: This natural concealer includes key ingredients like caffeine, hyaluronic acid, and pink algae to hydrate and brighten. Click for Full Ingredients
Clove + Hallow Conceal and Correct:
5. Clove + Hallow Conceal and Correct ($20): This lightweight, buildable concealer provides a breathable finish without flaking and caking. With almost 300 online reviews, this organic concealer ranks in at almost 5 stars proving that clean concealers have come a long way! Clove + Hallow provides 10 shades.
Benefits: This 100% vegan concealer provides easy application with “doe-foot applicator”. I prefer these kind of concealer wands because it makes it effortless to provide precise application.
Ingredients: 100% PETA-certified cruelty-free. Click for Full Ingredients
W3ll People Bio Correct Multi-Action:
6. W3ll People Bio Correct Multi-Action Concealer ($22.99): W3ll People was one of the first brands to really make a splash on the clean beauty scene. Their concealer is EWG certified, cruelty-free, non-toxic, and sustainable. Some cons, however, it does have thicker consistency and limited shade range, but it does provide great coverage!
Benefits: Some benefits include skin firming, added skin brightness, and tons of hydration! Also love the creamy and smooth texture which allows for easy absorption!
Ingredients: This concealer is formulated with caffeine, a peptide complex, and organic algae extract that brightens skin. The mix of these ingredients provides a great finish for the tough spots like under eyes and blemishes. Click for Full Ingredients
Inika Certified Organic Perfection Concealer:
7. Inika Certified Organic Perfection Concealer ($29): This certified organic concealer has a great texture due to its shea butter and aloe vera ingredients. It does have a limited shade range, but it does have a thick consistency which allows for great coverage!
Benefits: It is highly hydrating formula prevents caking and creasing for all-day wear. Although a thicker consistency, it still provides a lightweight, flawless finish. Great for concealing dark circles, blemishes, redness and pigmentation.
Ingredients: Made with 71% certified organic ingredients, its unique blend of shea butter, jojoba seed oil, and Aloe Vera make for the perfect combination. Click for Full Ingredients
Fitglow Beauty Conceal+:
8. Fitglow Beauty Conceal+ ($42): The most expensive concealer on the list, but with a 5 star reputation, it earns every penny. With its 15 shade range, it provides a full-coverage while still staying completely clean. It conditions and brightens even for the most delicate skin.
Benefits: Provides a great blend of plant-powered ingredients that make it stand out from its competitors. Also a very similar consistency to what a regular concealer would feel like.
Ingredients: To name a few, this natural concealer has a mix of plant elastin, vitamin K, licorice root, and green tea. Click for Full Ingredients
RMS Beauty “UN” Cover Up Concealer:
9. RMS Beauty “Un” Cover Up Concealer ($36): This clean concealer makes the list because it holds the 2020 clean beauty award from Allure magazine. Also with 16 shades, it has buildable coverage which allows for it to be used where needed (i.e concealer or foundation)
Benefits: Its compact design is great for on-the-go! The easy to smooth texture allows for the concealer to just melt into your skin!
Ingredients: Coconut and jojoba oil are some of the key ingredients in this clean concealer. Click for Full Ingredients
100% Pure Fruit Pigmented® 2nd Skin Concealer:
10. 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented® 2nd Skin Concealer ($29): This concealer is last on the list but definitely not least! It is so unique in the fact that it is colored by fruit pigments. With that said, it does have a limited shade range, but does provide a hydrating, lightweight finish.
Benefits: 100% Pure’s version has squalane ingredient which gives it its luxurious and hydrating texture! It has great versatility by providing spot or all-over coverage. Also Made in USA!
Ingredients: Focused around squalene, extracts, and fruits provides for a great, clean base! Even though natural ingredients, 94% of consumers said it lasted 6-8 hours. Click for Full Ingredients
As you can see there are MANY great options to choose from when looking for clean concealers. If you see others that you want to try, just try to avoid the toxic ingredients I listed above! Hope this gives you a great start, but if there are any others you would like me to review, make sure to drop a comment below!