How do you know if you need a natural setting spray? Picture this: You walk into the bathroom at work only to be greeted in the mirror by a melted-makeup, zombie face. You know, the kind with smudges all over that would impress even the scariest of The Walking Dead.
So what gives? It’s only noon, and your makeup is already giving you racoon eyes and foundation creases.
If this scenario sounds familiar then the short answer is: Yes, you need a setting spray!
What is Setting Spray and Why Do I Need It?
Let’s start with the basics. A setting spray is a cosmetic, liquid mist designed to preserve your makeup for long periods of time. (read: no smudging, flaking, melting!)
It is often used as the last step of a makeup routine by lightly spritzing all-over your face. This keeps the makeup moist and in place for several hours. Setting sprays are great for everyday, but they are must-have for all-day events like weddings, seminars, and performances.
So you’re probably thinking, it sounds great, but is this extra step needed?
I get it, we all have busy lives, and a 5 minute makeup routine sounds pretty enticing. But according to the makeup experts at Byrdie, although an extra step, it is a vital step.
A setting spray allows you to focus on tasks without constantly checking for touch-ups in the mirror. Hello Freedom!
To help “seal” the deal (pun intended), a setting spray also provides the following benefits:
- Setting sprays lock in your makeup by providing a protective barrier! This barrier not only makes your makeup look last longer, but also your makeup products! By not having to reapply, this allows more weeks in between restocking your supplies. Your wallet will thank you!
- Hydration, hydration, hydration! Water is a synonym for hydration which makes it necessary for plump and healthy-looking skin. At the very least, setting sprays help to lock in the water your skin desperately needs! Sprays are great to apply even without makeup in order to get your daily hydration.
- A great base for hot, humid days! If you are a Southern gal like me, you know first-hand the humidity is no joke. I did the makeup for my wedding (pictured above), and I knew it would not last without a spray! Setting sprays are the tool that provide a great finishing touch, but also a great base. By using the spray under your makeup, it will create a flawless look to beat the southern heat.
- Less makeup transfer to clothing! Saved the best for last with this additional benefit! No more worrying about accidental makeup transfer to your clothing. These sprays will keep your makeup on your face where it belongs!
Natural Setting Spray vs. Branded Sprays
If you have been following along on my beauty journey, you know that I am an advocate of clean beauty and natural products. After suffering from chronic dermatitis (read more here), I knew it was time to make the change to cleaner products.
So with that said, it would be no different when it comes to setting sprays!
Some of the popular sprays, such as Urban Decay & NYX, have concerning ingredients. To name a few, these ingredients could cause allergies, toxicity, and irritations. Check out the graphic below for 3 ingredients to avoid when shopping for sprays.
So what are the best makeup setting sprays? Now that we know which ingredients to avoid, here are Top 5 Natural Setting Sprays to begin incorporating into your makeup routine.
Top 5 Natural Setting Sprays
1. Lily Lolo Setting Mist: Rated 5 stars and under $20, it does not get much better than Lily Lolo’s Setting Mist! Its perfect blend of natural aloe vera, green tea leaf, and panthenol make it perfect for soothing and hydrating skin. Its slim bottle makes it perfect for throwing in your work bag or suitcase.
2. Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Hydrating Face Mist: Also clocking in under $20, Herbivore’s setting spray is known for its super-fine, 100% natural hydrating mist. The unique use of Vegan Hyaluronic Acid, Organic Rose Hydrosol, Coconut Water, and Hibiscus Extract make it an easy choice. Plus it is great for creating “dewy” looks too.
3. True Botanicals Nutrient Mist: This natural setting spray is moderately priced under $30. Not only does it set your makeup, but it’s a great dose of antioxidants for your skin. It has luxe ingredients like jasmine, kombucha, and green tea that your skin will drink up! It is great for those self care days at home.
4. Coola Makeup Setting Spray Organic Sunscreen SPF 30: Coola products are winners due to their strong focus on SPF! Experts say SPF is one (if not the most important) anti-aging product, so this spray is a win-win! Coola is also rated as “clean at Sephora” which means it is formulated without their list of 50 toxic ingredients.
5. Farsali Rose Gold 24K Skin Mist: Also on the “clean at Sephora” list is the Farsali Rose Gold Skin Mist. This spray is the most expensive at $39, but it’s worth its weight in gold– literally. This setting spray is infused with gold flakes and rosehip seed oil that provides an alcohol-free, hydrating mist. Works great as both a primer and setting spray.
BONUS: DIY Your Own Natural Setting Spray
Another great option for setting sprays is to make your own! One of my favorite recipes is from 100% Pure brand that you can check out here! It is a little more work to create than just buying one off the shelf, but it does have its benefits!
Benefits of DIY sprays:
- Know the Ingredients! Although store sprays have great natural options, they could still have some chemical additives. These additives might be great for shelf-life, but not-so-great to rub on your face everyday. When you make your own DIY setting spray, you know exactly what is going into it– no surprises here!
- List of Pure Ingredients! Not only do you know the ingredients, but you can have fun with the ingredient combos. Whether you are looking for the calming of aloe or the dewiness of rosewater, you have total control!
- Save some money! It might cost a bit more upfront, but these ingredients can be bought in bulk that will last. Amazon.com is a great place to start and has the additional benefit of 2-day shipping
Alternatives to natural setting sprays
Setting sprays are easy to use, but I know the “dewy” look might not be for everyone. If you prefer a flawless matte look, then I would suggest primers and powders. Read on to learn the differences between primers, powders, and sprays, so you can find the best fit!
Unlike sprays, primers are one of the first steps of the makeup routine. They can provide a strong hold, but also provide a smooth base for makeup to glide easily.
This smooth base helps reduce the appearance of fines lines and large pores creating the perfect finish. Plus, they are great alternatives to sprays for sensitive areas like eyelids.
Some of top picks include:
Now on to powder option. This alternative to setting sprays is great to have in your arsenal for easy touch-ups. I would recommend especially for humid climates since it is easy to have your skin become too dewy.
Nowadays there are large selections of powders from translucent to color-matching. Some of my favorites are included below, and can be effortlessly applied with a brush or beauty blender.
Natural setting sprays are the way to go to achieve that long-lasting finish without the harmful chemicals. If setting sprays are not your thing, then I hope you find some great alternatives with powders and primers.
No more melted-zombie looks here– banish them for good with that one final spray step!